Who am I?
Moderator at playvicious.social
Volunteer at Alameda Food Bank
Native New Yorker living in the town
- Networked communities
- Organized by overall "city"
- Centralized but diverse
- Site builder (Wix, Weebly/Square)
- Had to leave to explore other "homes"
Open Self-Run Communities
Echo Chambers, Fake News, People-As-Profit
Where Did it Go?
- Communities died due to site deaths.
- Friendships and data lost due to corporate funding with no legit exit strategy.
- Treated like cattle on a very "nice" factory farm.
Rest in Archives (RIA)
In Case Video Ain't Play
A set of users (community) that defines how they'll be governed!
A collection of communities or planets or galaxies or some other massive entity.
Fediverse Report of 2018
- Nearly doubled in size
- More kinds of services
We Build What We Need
Platforms are designed to share and provide information when it's relevant. It's not driven by KPIs, MRR or any kind of metric tailored on making people into product cogs.
It's about people. For people.
- Too many cooks!
- Sensory overload
- Mobile = rough
- One way posts
How do you get in?
- Find an instance.
- Introduce yourself with hashtags.
- Follow and interact with others!
- Opt for federation over silos.
- Spread the word.
What's the Point?
(Re)claiming Digital Sovereignty
You aren't a product.
Don't allow yourself to be sold.
Talk to me NICE: Introducing the Fediverse & IndieWeb
By Jacky Alciné