trends and attitudes in the global
open data community
- A few years ago no-one was talking open data
- Now there are initiatives all over the world
- Millions of datasets
- Thousands upon thousands projects using data in new ways
- From fringe idea to policy orthodoxy
- Limitless potential
Two kinds of open data action
There are many kinds of open data initiative across the world...
...and there are growing divides between initiatives
= open data initiative?
There is more than one way to grow an open data initiative
Impact is strongest where there are local initiatives.
A growing focus on standards
Noun project icons from: hunotika, Pham Thi Dieu Linh & Creative Stall
Noun project icons from: Pham Thi Dieu Linh
There are bigger things on the agenda than open data...
...but open data is still a very big idea
Another data community?
Or another way of doing data?
An economic input?
Or an ethic of
database object or sovereign citizens
Recap & responses:
1) Embed open data in wider change
2) Innovate and experiment with different open data practices
3) Build community to unlock the impact of open data
4) Include users in shaping open data standards
5) Combine problem solving and infrastructure building
- The Noun Project
- Wikimedia Commons
- UN OCHA
- Flickr users: ajc1, hourann, joeshlabotnik
Canada Open Data Conference
By Tim Davies