Front End Dev at Viget.
The cascade of misinformation and it's affect on our nation's health.
- 30 Days of ONLY Fast Food
- 2000 calorie limit
- 100g carb limit
- Walks 5 miles 6 days a week
- Lost 12lbs (over 3lbs a week)
- weight dropped from 206 to 194
- bmi dropped from 31.2 to 28.2
- cholesterol dropped
start low no
total: 231 222 209
ldl: 170 156 130
hdl: 61 49 64
ratio: 3.79 4.5 3.27
Cholesterol results from Fathead
All the bacon and eggs you have diet
Low-carb (100g) fast-food diet
- The Misinformation
- Its Effects
- The Science
The Lipid Hypothesis
Saturated Fat Raises Cholesterol
Cholesterol causes heart disease
The 7 Countries Study
Things to acknowledge:
- There is still exists a vague upward trend
- Correlation != Causation
- The study was inconclusive, and the topic of much debate
Our Government and Nation's Response
The McGovern Report
"Saturated fat and cholesterol are bad."
“I have pleaded in my report and will plead again orally here for more research on the problem before we make announcements to the American public.”
“Senators don't have the luxury that a research scientist does of waiting until every last shred of evidence is in.”
- In 1980 USDA draws up a set of national dietary that would later become the "Food Pyramid"
- In the 90's Nutrition Labeling and Education Act was passed, showing suggested values based on a low-fat high-carbohydrate diet
- Consumer advocacy groups like CSPI start crusading against saturated animal fats, start lobbying for TRANS FATS!
- The low-fat, low-cholesterol industry emerges
We have to get calories from somewhere
If not from saturated animal fats,
A Grain (carbohydrate) based diet
The only group of animals that lives well on a grain-based diet are birds.
A diet based on grains is not the native diet of ANY mammal
A diet biologically natural to the species
A diet un-natural to ALL animal animal groups except birds
Naturally occurring fats that humans have been eating for hundreds of thousands of years
Unnatural chemically extracted fats and fat substitutes that have never been in any species diet ever
When we eat, our body can't use all that energy at once.
It gets stored as fat.
Carbohydrate storage == limited
Fat storage == unlimited
Carbs >> Fat
So why care about carbs?
Carbohydrates are delicious and we should eat them.
- Keeps blood sugar levels in check
- Burns sugar, sends fat to storage
U.S. Government Recommended basis for our diet
9% of the U.S. population
25% of the +65 crowd
176% increase in diabetes
In the U.S. between 1980 and 2010
Closing Fun Fats:
Eating cholesterol does not raise your cholesterol.
Losing weight is more complicated than calories in calories out
Greasy doesn't mean artery clogging.
Exercise trumps everything.
in every study ever.
By Dan Tello