INTRO TO DIGITAL MARKETING
What is it?
- Term used to describe marketing strategies that include online, screen, new media or mobile technology.
1. DEVELOP A PERSONA FOR YOUR COMPANY
- A personality for your business
- Based on the target audience
- Based on the brand that the company wants to perceive
- All content (visual/written) should reflect that persona
2. MARKETING MEDIUMS
- Use as many different mediums as possible that your target audience would deem valuable
- Use primary (website), supplemental(blog) and social content(social media sites)
3. WEB AND MOBILE
- Make sure the website and mobile site are easy to use for customers
- Design for crediability and audience
- If targeting a global audience, make sure content can be easily translated
WEB AND MOBILE
The front page of the internet
HOW CAN YOU TELL IF YOU'RE TRENDING?
"A viral reaction to an image/video/blog post can occur, but the content cannot be viral through its very nature"
Research by Berger and Milkman
- Positive content is more viral than negative content
- The key to social sharing is the level of emotion of the viewer/reader
- Positive content that inspires surprise, amusement and awe is shared more.
- Content that inspires sadness is less viral
People share content in the hope that it will raise their social standing, generate reciprocity (i.e. to get something tangible or not in return) and simply to help others
VIRAL CONTENT NEEDS TO BE EMOTIONAL.
You need to be pushing the boundaries and create content that is highly original.
7 PERSONALITY TRIGGERS OF FASCINATION
CREATE CONTENT THAT TRIGGERS FASCINATION.
You need to fully understand your business/brand before you can apply the triggers of persuasion effectively.
How To Increase The Virality Of Your Content
- Understand your audience. Determine where they hang out, how old they are, create a persona for them (as seen in previous slides)
- Determine what message you want to say and the best medium to communicate it on
- Determine which triggers of fasciation you want to hit upon
- Make your content
MAKE THE CONTENT SHARABLE.
If the content makes the user look good, or is emotionally engaged, they will most likely share
- Released by the NFPO Invisible Children
- Short film about Joesph Kony, a war criminal in Uganda
- Already had a good online following
- Enlisted Culture and Political Leaders to help promote it
- Content is emotional and tells a story
KMART SHIP MY PANTS
- Commercial released on youtube promoting kmarts free shipping
- Uses a comedic approach to promote kmart
- edgy and surprising - different then other kmart ads
- NEW: Shop like a boss http://www.fcb.com/our-work/shop-like-a-boss