What is it?
- Directional signage in buildings & public spaces that make it easier to navigate.
- Often seen in airports, museums, hotels, malls & large retail stores
- A successful wayfinding system will help people determine their location, determine their destination, figure out how best to get there and know when they've arrived.
TIPS FOR DESIGNING A SUCCESSFUL WAYFINDING SYSTEM.
1. Be Clear
Use simple language that can be clearly understood
- Large, simple typography that can be easily read
- Viewers should not have to think when reading
2. Be Consistent
- Remember: Wayfinding signage is part of the brand so design accordingly.
- Standardize names for location & destinations
- Establish consistent information hierarchies for all signage
- Use consistent color and design
3. Be Bold
- Look for high contrast in color to aid comprehension
- Make signage large enough to be read and to grab the viewers attention
- Design signage for everyone- keep in mind the elderly, people with diabilities
4 types of signage
- Information: a signpole with locate a destination and / or to orientate yourself in the buildings environment.
- Directional: information is displayed to find destinations, located on several strategic points in the building environment.
- Identification signs: information about individual locations is displayed such as buildings, locations and public facilities.
- Warning signs: indicate safety procedures such as a fire escape routes, no smoking areas and other regulations that is, or is not allowed in a specific area.
- The choice of a signage typeface is one of the keyfactors in order to make a wayfinding system work.
- Usually a sans-serif type and available in various weights with a simple easy-to-read straightforward design
Good legibility with a large X-Height and wide letter proportions with prominent ascenders / descenders to ensure a good readability.
TYPE SHOULD HAVE THE
- A clear and straightforward type design, (sans-serif)
- Easy recognizable letterforms
- Positive letter spacing to enhance the visual appearance
- The Font Family includes a package of many different weights
The typeface has a large X-height for good readability